Patient Rights & Responsibilities
PATIENT’S BILL OF RIGHTS
Holyoke Medical Center is committed to a program that ensures competent and considerate care for all patients. The medical center supports the Patient’s Bill of Rights, chapter 214, enacted by the Legislature of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on May 23, 1979.
Under the provisions of that law, you have the right:
- to choose what facility you will be treated in;
- to receive an itemized bill for services you receive here
- to know the names and specialties of the people treating you;
- to confidentiality of your medical records;
- to prompt response to your requests;
- to know the relationship between Holyoke Medical Center and other health care or educational facilities;
- to know the rules which apply to you;
- to information about financial assistance and free health care;
- to see or obtain copies of your medical records;
- to refuse to be examined or treated by students or other staff;
- to refuse to participate in research or training of healthcare students
- to receive privacy during treatment;
- to receive prompt life-saving treatment in an emergency;
- to consent to your treatment;
- to know the relationship between your doctor and Holyoke Medical Center;
- to know your treatment options and to refuse treatment;
- to expect appropriate pain control;
- to be free from unnecessary restraint and/or seclusion;
- to receive information about your diagnosis and treatment options;
- to receive an up-to-date list of all your current medications;
- Maternity patients: to receive information on Caesarian section rates, breast feeding rates and information regarding birth-related complication rates at our facility.
The rights established under this law shall apply to every patient in our facility, Every patient shall receive written notice of the rights established herein upon admittance to the medical center. In addition, such rights shall be conspicuously posted in said facility.
If you are dissatisfied with services received at the medical center, you may file a complaint with the Concern Line at (413) 534-2727.
Written complaints should be directed to the Administrative Offices, Holyoke Medical Center, 575 Beech Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
You may also file a complaint with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Board of Registration in Medicine, 200 Harvard Mill Square, Suite 330, Wakefield, MA 01880, telephone number (781) 876- 8200, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Division of Health Care Quality, 99 Chauncy Street, Boston, MA 02111, telephone (617) 753-8000 or DNV GL Healthcare, 400 Techne Center Dr., Suite 100, Milford, OH 45150, Attn: Complaints, telephone (866) 496-9647, online www.dnvglhealthcare.com (“File Hospital Complaint” link on right side) or email email@example.com.