On March 19, 2019 Holyoke Medical Center celebrated Certified Nurses Day by honoring its board certified nurses at a celebratory breakfast. The following nurses were recognized for their professionalism, leadership, and commitment to excellence in patient care:
view all news
· Carlene Bailey, RN-BC (Registered Nurse Board Certified)
· Brian Couchon, RNC-OB (Registered Nurse Certified in Inpatient Obstetrics)
· Colleen Desai, RN, CEN (Certified Emergency Nurse)
· Dorothy Fisher, RN, CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists)
· Shannon Hayes, RN, OCN (Oncology Certified Nurse)
· Erin Hurlburt, RN, OCN (Oncology Certified Nurse)
· Patricia Mackey-Kebba, RN, CAPA Emeritus (Certified Ambulatory Perianesthesia Nurse)
· Patricia Michalski, RN, CPAN (Certified Post Anesthesia Nurse)
· Nancy Price, RN, OCN (Oncology Certified Nurse)
· Dawn Quinn, RN, CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists)
· Carol Sanderson, RN, PCRN (Palliative Care Resource Nurse)
· Elizabeth Saykin, RN, CCM (Certified Case Manager)
· Lisa Schmith, RN, CNOR (Certified Nurse Operating Room)
· Lorraina Smith-Zuba, RN, CEN, CNOR (Certified Emergency Nurse/ Certified Nurse Operating Room)
· Virginia Thomas, RN, CEFM, CCE (Certified Electronic Fetal Monitoring / Certified Childbirth Educator)
· Tammy Wallace-Phillips, RN, CNOR (Certified Nurse Operating Room)
· Stacy Wilson, RN, CNOR (Certified Nurse Operating Room)
· Carol Wojnarowsi, RN, CIC (Certification Infection Prevention and Control)
“We are impressed and proud of each member of our team who has gone through the rigorous effort of obtaining an advanced certification within their nursing specialty. It is a testament to each one in their professionalism, commitment to best patient care and excellence,” said Colleen Desai, Chief Nursing Officer at Holyoke Medical Center. “As a Certified Emergency Nurse, I know firsthand the amount of commitment and preparation that is involved in taking the certification exams, and congratulate each member of our team who has taken on that responsibility and commitment to the profession of nursing.”
Board Certification of nurses plays an increasingly important role in the assurance of high standards of care for patients and their loved ones. Nursing, like healthcare in general, has become increasingly complex. While a registered nurse (RN) license provides entry to general nursing practice, the knowledge-intensive requirements of modern nursing require extensive education, as well as a strong personal commitment to excellence by the nurse.
There are many nursing certification specialties such as medical-surgical, pediatric, pain management, cardiovascular, oncology, hospice, case management, emergency nursing, critical care and many others. Many nursing certification bodies exist to serve the full range of specialized nursing care offered in the contemporary health care system. National nurse-certifying bodies should be accredited by the Accreditation Board for Specialty Nursing Certification (ABSNC) or the National Organization for Competence Assurance (NOCA).
Please join Holyoke Medical Center and the nation's national nursing certification organizations in honoring those hardworking, dedicated nurses for their professionalism, and a job well done!