Colonoscopy: Miralax Split Prep Instructions
One Week Before Your Procedure
- Do not eat raw fruits and vegetables, whole wheat or high fiber foods the week before your colonoscopy
- Plan your transportation: You MUST have a ride home after the procedure; you will be given medications to make you sleepy. We cannot perform your colonoscopy if you do not have a ride home
Three Days Before Your Procedure
- Please call us if you need to cancel or reschedule your colonoscopy at least 3 days before your procedure.
- Pick up your prep solution from the pharmacy.
Two Days Before Your Procedure
- Mix the prep solution 2 days before your colonoscopy, and refrigerate. Some people like to drink it cold.
The Day Before Your Procedure
DO NOT CONSUME any of the following:
- Solid foods
- Diet or Sugar free products (even diabetics)
- Anything RED, BLUE or PURPLE (the dye can interfere with test)
- Dairy products
- Juices with pulp
YOU MAY CONSUME:
- Gatorade or other sports electrolyte drinks
- Clear juices like apple, white grape or white cranberry
- Sodas such as ginger ale, Sprite, 7-UP, seltzer
- Popsicles, Jell-o, Italian Ices (green or yellow)
- Clear chicken bouillon
At NOON The Day Before Your Procedure
- Take (2) Dulcolax tablets
At 5 p.m. The Day Before Your Procedure
Begin drinking the colon preparation as follows:
- One 8 oz glass every 15 minutes, until the first half is gone
- Refrigerate the remaining prep until the morning
- If you feel bloated, nausea or full, stop drinking for 15 minutes and walk around, this can help move the fluid through your colon
The laxative will cause you to have very loose and watery stools, that’s what we want!
6 Hours BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED Procedure START TIME
- Drink the remaining half of the prep solution
- One 8 oz glass every 15 minutes, this may be as early as 2 a.m.
- THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT, IT ALLOWS THE DOCTOR TO SEE YOUR COLON WALL FOR ANY ABNORMALITIES
- If the doctor cannot see, they could miss something abnormal in your colon
The goal when you finish the prep is to have your Bowel Movements clear or yellow clear fluids in the toilet. You should be able to see the bottom of the toilet.
The Day of Your Procedure
- Do not eat breakfast the day of your procedure or you will be canceled
- Take only those Medications you have been instructed to take by your doctor or nurse the morning of your procedure
- You MUST have a driver home
Diabetics: no short acting insulin the day of your colonoscopy, do not take any oral diabetic medications the morning of your colonoscopy.
4 Hours BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED Procedure START TIME
- NOTHING BY MOUTH: NO WATER, GUM or HARD CANDY or the test could be canceled
AFTER YOUR Procedure
- You SHOULD NOT WORK
- You cannot drive for the rest of the day
- Some cramping and bloating is normal after, walking around can help move the air out of your colon
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours after your procedure
- If you have any questions, please call (413) 540-5048
- You can use Vaseline, Desitin, etc. on your bottom to reduce redness and irritation from frequent bowel movements
- Using flushable wipes instead of toilet paper can also help
Patients using insulin: we recommend using half of long acting insulin the evening before and none the AM of procedure, and no short acting insulin the day of the procedure.
Do not take any oral diabetic medications the evening of the prep or the morning of the procedure.