Movement disorders can be frightening and greatly interfere with a person’s ability to function. Parts of your body don’t move the way you want them to, which can lead to disability, depression and cognitive and sleeping problems.
Types of movement disorders include Parkinson’s Disease, Essential Tremor, Ataxia and Dystonia. These disorders are caused by a dysfunction in the part of the brain that controls movement.
HMC Neurology and Sleep, led by Dr. Rani Athreya, features a comprehensive movement disorder clinic. Our goal is to help patients improve their symptoms and quality of life. We offer diagnosis and treatment for all types of movement disorders.
The diagnosis of a movement order may involve:
- Radiological procedures, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)
- Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction study
- Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) evaluation
- Genetic testing
- Other tests
Depending on the type and severity of a movement disorder, treatment may involve:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy
- Botulinum toxin (Botox) to help reduce symptoms
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS), a type of brain surgery