Colonoscopy Prep Tips
Download a copy of these tips here.
- TWO days before your colonoscopy: mix the PEG powder with water, or Miralax with Gatorade (no red, blue or purple).
- Most people like the drink cold.
- Use a straw if you find the drink doesn’t taste good.
- You can also chew gum or suck on hard candy between servings, but DO NOT chew gum or suck on hard candies 6 hours before your colonoscopy.
- Popular clear liquids include: ginger ale, Italian ices, popsicles, chicken bouillon.
- The prep can make you cold, drinking something warm can help with this, or wrap yourself in a warm blanket.
- Use Balmex or Vaseline on your anal area when you start to drink the prep. Reapply as needed after each bowel movement.
- Use flushable baby wipes instead of toilet paper, pat gently.
- Stay close to the bathroom once you start drinking the prep.
- Start the second half of the prep 6 hours before your scheduled colonoscopy start time.
- After you’ve completed your prep you should be able to see the bottom of the toilet bowl. Small flecks are normal.
- You should drink one 8 oz. glass of prep every 15 minutes. If you become full or bloated, stop drinking for 15 minutes and walk around. This can help move fluids through your bowels.
- Remember, a colonoscopy is a visual test. If the doctors cannot see the wall of your bowel, they can miss seeing a polyp, so keep drinking that prep, it’s worth it!
- Any questions call 413-540-5048 and ask for the nurse.